Transforming Musculoskeletal Care
The Mississauga Halton LHIN in collaboration with Trillium Health Partners and Halton Healthcare Services is implementing Musculoskeletal (MSK) Rapid Access Clinics in 2018.
This initiative includes the implementation of Rapid Access Clinics for moderate to severe hip and knee arthritis and low back pain (ISAEC model).
This Provincial initiative aims to:
- Increase access to MSK specialist care
- Increase patient experience and satisfaction
- Increase appropriate diagnostic and surgical referrals
Primary care physicians will route a standardized referral form to a common central intake within the Mississauga Halton LHIN. Patients will be booked for a standardized assessment with a target wait time of 4 weeks. An inter-professional team will work together through a shared care model to determine the appropriate path for the patient which can include a surgical consult, providers within the community, and/or a self-management plan. Along the care continuum, the referring physician is informed of the assessment results and recommendations made to the patient.
What does this mean for you?
- Timely assessment and consultation
- Education regarding assessment findings and treatment options
- Individualized treatment plan
- Maintenance of patient choice of hospital, surgeon, or next available for surgical candidates
- One point of contact for referrals (hip, knee, and low back pain) and clear referral criteria
- Enhanced communication between providers
- Assistance with conservative management of patients
- Maintained provider and patient choice
- Increase in appropriate referrals
- Necessary information on patient’s clinical history, physical exam findings, and indications of patient’s readiness to proceed with surgery
- Assistance with supporting patient through education and management options during wait time for surgery
We have engaged a multi-disciplinary team to work collaboratively on the planning and implementation including persons with lived experience, primary care, specialists, providers within the community, and hospital leadership.
Stay tuned for 2018 implementation timelines!
For more information on the ISAEC model please visit: www.isaec.org